Thursday, August 6, 2015

The Art of Discipline

I strongly believe that there are three stages of discipline. All three stages are needed in order to succeed and they must go in order. The first stage of discipline is ACCEPTING DISCIPLINE, the second stage of discipline is DEVELOPING SELF-DISCIPLINE, and the third stage is TEACHING DISCIPLINE. You cannot teach discipline if you have not developed self-discipline, and you cannot develop self-discipline if you have not accepted discipline. Also, you need to have all three aspects of discipline throughout your life. You do not just stop accepting discipline or stop disciplining yourself. In fact, what makes you a credible teacher of discipline, is showing by example on how to accept it and discipline yourself. In this lifetime, we will never stop learning and we have to humble ourselves. No one is too big or no one should be too proud to accept discipline.

Accepting discipline can root from how we are as students and how we are as athletes. We have all grown up with teachers and coaches.

How we are in the classroom strongly determines how well we accept discipline. There are a lot of students that are rebellious and want to go against what the teacher asks them to do. Or they are lazy and want to find the easy way out, so they just want to pass and graduate with the minimum GPA. Those students usually have a hard time in the real world when they have to find a job. Because the more disciplined you are, the more marketable you are as a worker. People want to hire employees that accept discipline and develop self-discipline. Because then they do not have to worry about 'babysitting" them, meaning that they do have to be monitored constantly. People want to hire someone who is going to represent their company in the best way possible, no matter what position. So even though you may believe your GPA does not matter when it comes to finding a job, but if you are able to do what the teacher asks you to do and you are able to discipline yourself to get good grades, you will have the tools to be a great worker. Be teachable!

When I played basketball, since 4th grade, I had coaches that taught discipline. We always had to be on time or else we would go through a correction process that led to running or suspension of games. Off the court, we had to be good students and good people in our community. So as children, we are very impressionable and we feel lost. Children seek role models such as their parents, teachers, and coaches. As a 4th grader, I knew that I did not know as much about basketball as my coach. I had that mindset throughout my whole playing career. I accepted the coach's discipline because they were my role models. I wanted to be a great basketball player, I wanted to play in front of big crowds. I would go in my backyard or I would go to the gym and put myself in a game-winning situation at the Staples Center in the NBA Finals. I never lost sight of that, in order for me to be able to play in front of big crowds, I had to learn how to play the game and I had to do whatever it took to get there. So as a basketball player, I never went to a team to be the star player, I wanted to be on the team that wins a lot of games. It was more satisfying for me to be apart of wins, then it was for me to be scoring 30 points a game for a losing team. In order for me to be on winning teams, I had to have a winning attitude, and a winning attitude consists of accepting discipline. I did what it took, I played my role, I was patient, and I took advantage of my opportunities. A common attitude that my coaches had about me, from 4th grade to college, is that they did not have to worry about me, meaning that they knew I was going to do the right things and I was going to work hard every single day. Of course I had to go through a learning curve. I did not know what was right or wrong in 4th grade, I had to learn the team rules and sometimes it was learning them by experience. If I got yelled at or got in trouble, I did not take it the wrong way. I accepted that I did something wrong and that I would have to go through a correction process. When I got into 9th grade, I had a new coach and was apart of a new team, so it took my 9th grade year to understand what was right and wrong and go through another correctional process. Same thing went for my freshman year in college. I accepted the fact that I was going to make mistakes and that I was going to have to go through a correctional process that will motivate me to not make those mistakes again. Be coachable!

Self-discipline is strongly needed when you no longer have teachers or coaches in your life that are making you do schoolwork or making you go to practice. You develop your self-discipline as a student or an athlete, by doing more than what the teachers and coaches ask of you. Doing the bare minimum work in the classroom or in your sport, will cost you in the long run. Like I have mentioned before, you aim for an A grade, you might fall short to a B or a C. If you aim for a C, you might fall short to a D or an F. Same applies with athletics, do not let some tell you, "You will be a good division II player" and make that your ceiling. I know I would have been a good division II player but I did not settle for that. If I settled for people telling me I would be a good DII player, I may not have even played college basketball, because my work ethic would have not been as strong as it is. I pushed myself to my limits, to where I barely got onto a division I team as a walk-on, and I was very close to being cut. I was one mistake away, I did not have that much room for error, not as much as the scholarship players. But my self-discipline got me four years on a Top 25 DI basketball team. I did not do the bare minimum, I did not just accept that I was on the team, I wanted to benefit the team in the best way possible. In my position, that was tough because I did not do much on the court. When I was on the court, I played hard. Every practice, even though I was not playing, I gave my all because I wanted to help the team get better. In the classroom, not only did I want to succeed there, I wanted to help my teammates succeed in the classroom so they can be eligible to play. Self-discipline is doing more than what the teachers and coaches ask. Once you no longer have those coaches and teachers making you do schoolwork or making you go to practice, you cannot get lazy. There are so many former athletes that get out of shape because they did not develop self-discipline. I have been removed as a basketball player for over a year, and I still train and exercise constantly. Coaches do not teach you discipline so you can throw it away once you are done with them, they teach you discipline so you can use it to be successful. If you are able to accept discipline and use it for greater success, then you can teach discipline to others to help them be successful.

The best way to teach discipline, I believe, is through your actions and leading by example. As a leader, you have to follow your own rules. If a pastor preaches on tithing (giving 10% of your income to the church), he has to tithe as well to be a respectable leader. If you are a coach that wants punctuality from your players, you have to be on time as well. Teaching discipline is holding yourself and others accountable. I personally like working out with other people because they can hold me accountable if I am not doing my best. It is easy to get lazy or not work hard when you have no one around to hold you accountable. Do not worry about people that do not like you for teaching them discipline or holding them accountable. If you constantly accept discipline and have self-discipline, you are a credible discipline teacher. A lot of people do not like discipline, I have seen that in the classroom, in sports, and in church. If it is hard work, some students will find an excuse to not do the work and complain. If a coach is too hard on a player or always picks on them, that player will give an excuse that the coach does not like me. When in reality, the coach that gets on you and picks on you actually cares enough for you to get better. If I had a coach that did not get on me for making mistakes and not going hard, I would shy away from that coach. Because that coach is either too lazy or too scared to correct me. In church, if a pastor preaches on something from The Bible, that person may disregard what God says and shy away from the church. Preachers cannot please everybody, they have to teach discipline based on biblical principles. If a preacher goes away from God's Word and teaches a different belief system, then that preacher is no longer teaching discipline, not the way God wants them to teach it. Not everyone is going to accept discipline. As an educator of discipline, you may not be liked, but you will be respected. Too many people live their lives based on getting people to like them. If you live that way, you will not have a belief system to stand on. You have to believe in the right things, you have to believe in discipline, in order to teach it. You cannot teach something you do not believe in. People can tell if teachers, coaches, and pastors are believing in what they teach. If you believe in your program, if you believe that God's Word is the truth and the way to live; you will be respected as an educator, even by the people that do not like you.

Never lose sight of discipline, we all need it and we all need to teach it. I am not bitter at anyone but I do not respect people that do not discipline themselves and that do not hold me accountable. We should want to be around people that do not encourage us to do the wrong things. People around us should not let us slip up. Parents have to discipline their children, they may not like you or say they hate you, but they will love you for giving them the tools to succeed. My parents taught me discipline and I did not always like my parents. I said mean things to them and thought mean things, but if they did not have the courage to teach me discipline, I would be lost in the wrong things. Do not live your life to be liked by the wrong people, live your life to respected by the right people.

I know school is starting so I want to spend this month talking about things to get us off to a good start! Thank you for reading! Comment or message me anything such as questions or requested topics to write about!

Sincerely,

Christopher E Perez

Facebook: Chris E Perez
Twitter/Periscope: @C_P_2
Instagram/Snapchat: @cperez02
email: cperez0116@yahoo.com



No comments:

Post a Comment