Thursday, June 19, 2014

Why This Path?

Since my junior year in high school, I have truly dedicated myself to a certain style of living. I went through a tough, life-learning experience that made me become who I am. When people look at me, I want them to identify or describe me primarily as an "unselfish" person.

I try really hard to be this way and to follow this path. One reason is because being unselfish is a good quality of a friend. I want my friends to be able to count on me to be there for them. I want them to trust me that I will support them no matter what. I have been able to play this role in most of my friends' lives. When people, from all ages, can count on me and can trust me, that means that I will be able to be trusted and counted on for my career. I want to be a coach, and in that career path, I need to be exactly that, counted on and trusted. 

Another reason why I am on the pursuit to unselfishness, is because of my impact, inspiration, and motivation. I have a story, just like anybody else, that has taught me life lessons and continues to teach me life lessons. I want to share it, I want to share how I got to where I am today and how I am going to get to where I want to go. My experiences are going to be different than your experiences, you may have learned certain life lessons that I did not get the chance to learn and vice versa. Sharing stories can change a life. These past few months, I have done some guest speaking for teams and classrooms. I have also been coaching different basketball teams throughout the summer. The main feedback I get when I tell my story is that I give them "confidence". Giving them the ability that in whatever they are doing and whatever they want to do, they know it is possible to become the best at what they love. I pursued my dream to be apart of a Division I basketball team and now I am pursuing my other dream as being the best basketball coach in the world. I can only do that, if I have an unselfish mindset. If you help others, others help you. And in this crazy world, you never know if the person you help, can help you as well. So do not be afraid to help someone, for they can help you. 

This next reason was given to me spiritually. Before every home game, we had a pregame meal about 3 and a half hours before tip-off. And before that meal we would have a chaplin service. Our last home game, our pastor went to the three seniors and gave them a word that best describes them. For me, he gave me the word "humility". Meaning I don't think less of myself, I think of myself less. Pastor Griego has known me for four years and he is a man of God. At that moment, I strongly felt that God has given this word to me that will lead the rest of my life. I have been to many church services these past few months and I started to see that this should be an unselfish world. If everyone was more unselfish, we would all live better. Because if we are there for others, others will be there for us. 

Choosing this path has helped me not only become a better person, but live a better life. I am not trying to get you to live the way I live. It is just that the way I live works for me. And I want to share this because maybe it will work for you, you never know. Maybe you will learn something from me, apply it to your life, and see it work. All in all, if we share our stories and share our perspective of life, we may help someone else. And it works in full circle. Helping others is a reward in itself, and you will get rewarded a lot more if you are more unselfish than more selfish. 

Thanks for reading! Hopefully it helps you in any way. Please offer me feedback it you have any!

Chris
God First God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment